[Special Holiday Issue]
Quote of the week
So I have a blog
- Semantic Web Services Challenge 2006 - on Automating Web Services Mediation, Choreography and Discovery
- CfP: WWW2006 workshop on " Semantic Web Annotations for Multimedia" (SWAMM 2006), 22 May 2006, Scotland
- 15th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW 2006) - "Managing Knowledge in a World of Networks", 2-6 October 2006, Czech Republic
- CfP: 4th Workshop on Agent-Mediated Knowledge Management, August 29, 2006, Italy
- SWAP 2005 : Proceedings; Tutorial - Introduction to the Semantic Web; (where's Franconi's??); videos
- RDF Forms - updated draft, adds to the Semantic Web capabilities similar to those which HTML forms added to the early HTML based Web
- The future of HTML? : Part 1: WHATWG
- The future of OWL? : OWL 1.1 - preliminary overview and syntax docs
- Clarke and Parsia reported on the discussions around the new Rule Interchange Format Working Group and followed up with a report on the OWL: Experiences and Directions workshop, where a (See also: RIF use cases).
- Spiral MySQL schema discussion, release see below (see also Pragmatic design considerations for a PHP-based SPARQL store, Addressing the RDF Scalability Bottleneck, RDF - schema versioning and data typing)
- In the HTTP world,
and associates have joined the dots around
(Registration Procedures for Message Header Fields) filling out
Message header registry and repository with info from
(HTTP Header Field Registrations). Aside from the web angle,
there are a few bonus SemWeb points:
The content was almost completely automatically generated, by scraping the pertinent information from the RFC citations, using cwm [RDF processor] to infer some things about it, processing that n3 [RDF format] with a specialised script and then writing out the XML to feed into xml2rfc. Cool!
Software and stuff
- rdf-utils to diff and leanify rdf graphs - leanify: Remove redundant statements (and anonymous nodes) from rdf-graphs; diff: Show the difference between to rdf-graphs
- CognitiveWeb has announced a beta release of a Sesame SAIL implementation for Oracle 10g
- Spiral 0.33 RDF library for C#/.Net
- the W3C Validator graph problem is being addressed
- ARC SPARQL Parser for PHP version 0.2.0, covers Nov 23 WD spec (SQL rewriters in the pipeline)
- Distributed Ontology Management Environment (DOME) version 0.2.0 from Ontology Management Working Group (OMWG) - available as standalone application, Eclipse update, source distribution
(CROSI Mapping System)
The HP Jena-powered CMS is a multi-matcher, ontology mapping system which allows to combine different alignment algorithms for the purpose of ontology mapping
- NewsML 2 updates, including NewsML2-to-RDF transform
- StructuredBlogging - plugins for more machine-readable data from blogs, complete with sb-to-rdf XSLT, getting GRDDLable
Some novel search engines say…
- Kinja: " semantic web"
- Google Base seems to think " Semantic Web" means books
- Technorati Explore " Semantic Web"
- talkdigger, uri==http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
- Flickr: Photos tagged with physicalmetadata
Podcast of the week
Interview with MIT's McKenzie Smith about the Science Commons, governance of DSpace, The MIT Libraries' investigation of Semantic Web technology via their SIMILE project, grid computing vis-a-vis the SDSC Storage Resource Broker, and digital preservation.
Blog post title of the week
Is Web 2.0 just like one big Unix box?
Best wishes for…[Danny]